Monday, January 26, 2009

The search for an MPV begins

I personally dislike large MPVs and horror of horrors, I am actually considering the purchase of one. Well it has come to a point where I do need one to ferry my family around and thankfully, it involves little of my actually having to drive it. However, on the rare occasion where I may have to step into the driver's seat, I'd best be careful in my choice.

My criteria for Noah's ark are:
  1. Comes with a sliding door at both passenger sides. So that effectively rules out all the car-like MPVs notably the Honda Odyssey (they don't sell the US version which does come with sliding doors).
  2. Good crash test ratings. Its my family in there, after all. Though I must say this is quite humourous since I am in the land where crash test ratings mean nothing.
  3. Well appointed interiors with bias towards the passengers. Passenger comfort and convenience is of utmost priority and this is where I am aghast at most MPV manufacturers. You're manufacturing the MPV primarily for the comfort of the passengers and yet I see heated seating for the driver and front passenger and usually none for the passengers. If lucky, middle row passengers get passenger heating and perish the thought that third row passengers need to have any rights. Duh.
  4. Have some modification potential to increase ride comfort. One thing I intensely dislike about MPV is that the common thinking is to put super soft springs so that the entire vehicle wallows around like a boat being tossed around in a tidal wave whenever you go round a corner or hit a road hump. There are many road humps where I live and I get seasick. So what I'd like is to be able to firm up the suspension so that it retains a decent level of comfort and reduce the bounce.
So it's not not a very demanding list of criteria. Nothing too challenging like fuel economy, etc. Time to hit the car showrooms and the internet to do some research.

More on cars

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Friendly Links

Page Rank Checker blogarama - the blog directory Shnicky's Blog living in Shenzhen Travel Top Blogs restaurants Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Travel blogsThe no-nonsense China expat and traveller community. Everything you need to know about travelling to China; living, teaching and working in China; and learning Chinese.
Dmegs Web Directory Train your Dog here. This site is listed under China Directory VOTE for ME on BLOG VILLAGE Search Engine Submission - AddMe Blog search directory EatonWeb Blog Directory